The 2014 golf season is upon us, despite the long snowy winter, and we are all looking forward to green grass, warm sunshine, and friendly competition! As the WMGA Board, we are excited about this year’s tournament schedule and several changes being made to improve the competitive experience. Last fall, we asked players to complete a survey and provide feedback about our events. We received great response! Below is a list of updates we have made for the upcoming season, based on your suggestions:
- The All-City points scale has been expanded to award points to anyone that makes the final cut in one of our “majors” and to the top 20 in the Shipman Classic and Grand Valley Amateur (previously points were awarded to the top 20 and 15, respectively). We hope this increases the fight for each finishing position in final rounds and tighter competition to make the season-ending Watermark Cup!
- The City Match Play will be expanded with a second flight, giving more players a chance to compete and play more rounds in one of the most exciting formats in golf! The Championship Flight will still be made up of the top 31 players from stroke play qualifying (plus the previous year’s champion), but the next 16 finishers will be seeded and compete in their own match play bracket through Sunday morning.
- The Shipman Classic, a 36-hole flighted event with no handicap limitations, will return to one of its prior host venues, North Kent Golf Course in Rockford.
- First round pairings will be more random, which will hopefully allow more competitors to meet and play with new people and share a love for the game.
- As High School golfers are not permitted to accept gift certificate prize money and in an effort to drive increased participation, promoting local competitive golf with younger players, we will be offering a reduced entry fee for MHSAA High School golfers for the following tournaments: West Michigan Amateur, Kent County Amateur, and Shipman Classic. Look for this on each entry form!
The 2014 WMGA Tournament Schedule and entry forms for each of the events administered by the Association are posted on the website and were emailed today to everyone in our email list. They will be mailed out sometime this week to everyone on our mailing list. Please be aware, however, that after this year, we will no longer be mailing copies as we further transition to more electronic communication.
You will also find tournament schedules for other local, state, and national events put on by the Golf Association of Michigan (GAM), Greater Kalamazoo Golf Association (GKGA), Greater Muskegon Golf Association (GMGA), among others on our website. The majority of these events are open to ALL competitors in the West Michigan and surrounding areas. Our goal is to work with these organizations and others to promote tournament golf and grow the game.
We hope to see you out competing throughout the summer!
The West Michigan Golf Association supports the First Tee of West Michigan. We’d like to encourage all of you, who love the sport as we do, to do the same.
Won’t you please join us in supporting this wonderful charity that teaches the children of our community, what we all recognize as the core values of the game that transcend into every aspect of their lives off the course as well!
Please send your email address to: TLWerk 2009 AT att.net
(omit the spaces & use the @ sign for the word “AT”) if you want to be included in future email notifications.